About International Egg Donation
An increasing number of international parents travel to the United States every year seeking an egg donor. This is because commercial (compensated) egg donation is only legal in a few countries worldwide, and because the United States has proven to be a safe, stable, responsible destination for egg donation.
Egg donation in other countries poses greater risks to intended parents because of:
- Loose international laws
- Lack of proper clinical oversight
- Unproven service providers
In fact, many U.S. agencies now claim that more than 50 percent of their intended parents are international.
What additional legal factors do I need to consider with international egg donation?
Legal factors around birth certificate requirements, processes for obtaining apostille documents, and other legal provisions will vary depending on where you live, so it is important to secure a fertility attorney with experience in both your home country and your language to facilitate these processes. You should also make sure to retain an immigration and family law attorney in your home country to help coordinate parental establishment.
Klein Fertility Law has worked for nearly three decades to build a law firm that celebrates egg donation as one of the many innovative ways we create families today. We are a world leader in fertility law and have helped several thousand international parents from at least 25 different countries start their families.
What does an egg donation lawyer do for international clients?
Egg donation lawyers assist international parents with both the legal and non-legal aspects of the family building process. Examples include:
- Drafting written agreements to protect the legal rights of international parents
- Offering recommendations on trusted professionals and agencies
- Preparing legal documentation and provisions for each unique case
- Coordinating with immigration and family law attorneys in the home country to ensure a smooth process for parental establishment
Klein Fertility Law has a deep understanding of foreign laws, extensive experience working with international parents, and 30+ years of experience in fertility law. Our attorneys have insight into the various programs and agencies that offer special programs for international parents, and we make sure that our clients are in good hands throughout the process.
Our location in Southern California is also attractive for our international clients because the state has a progressive mindset toward family building for all types of intended parents. Coming here for egg donation offers a consistently safe environment for pregnancy and childbirth, which is important for creating a positive outcome.
Is egg donation legal in my country?
Commercial egg donation is legal in some U.S. states, including California, along with a handful of other countries. Uncompensated egg donation is also legal in countries like France, Australia, and Canada. In most other countries, egg donation is illegal. It should be noted that laws governing egg donation in the United States are created at the state – not the federal – level.
The United States is the preferred destination for egg donation because of…
- Egg donor-friendly states, which have clearly defined laws for establishing egg donor agreements and parental rights
- Large numbers of highly qualified, well-screened donor candidates
- Advanced medical care and technology to ensure a successful pregnancy
- Qualified and professional egg donation agencies